Terms and conditions
Last updated August 30th, 2016.
Please read this Terms of Service agreement (the “Agreement”) carefully. Your use of the Site (as defined below) constitutes your assent to this Agreement. This Agreement is between you (“you”) and Manifesta, a Canadian not-for-profit corporation (“Manifesta,” “we,” “us”) concerning your use of the online site currently located at https://manifesta.net (together with any successor site(s) and all Services (as defined below), the “Site”).
1. Acceptance of Terms.The Site is made available by Manifesta subject to this Agreement. We reserve the right to update or make changes to this Agreement from time to time in our sole discretion, which changes we may provide to you by any reasonable means, including by posting the revised version of this Agreement on the Site. You can determine when this Agreement was last revised by referring to the “LAST UPDATED” legend at the top of this Agreement. When using any Services (as defined below), you agree that you are subject to any additional posted guidelines, rules, terms and conditions applicable to such Services, which are hereby incorporated by reference into this Agreement.
We reserve the right, at any time, temporarily or permanently, in whole or in part, to: modify or discontinue the Site, with or without notice, and/or offer opportunities to some or all users of the Site. You agree that neither Manifesta nor any of its affiliates, nor any of Manifesta’s or its affiliates’ respective employees, officers, directors, shareholders, affiliates, agents, representatives, licensors, suppliers and service providers (collectively, “Affiliated Entities”) shall be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site, in whole or in part, or of any Service, content, feature or product offered through the Site. Your continued use of the Site after such changes will indicate your acceptance of such changes.
2. Jurisdictional Issues.The Site is controlled and administrated by Manifesta from Canada, and is not intended to subject Manifesta to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (“CNCA”) and the laws of Ontario, Canada. Manifesta does not represent or warrant that the Site or any part thereof is appropriate or available for use in any particular jurisdiction other than Canada. In choosing to access the Site, including Campaigns (as defined below) available through the Site, you do so on your own initiative and at your own risk, and you are responsible for complying with and ensuring that your Campaigns (if any) comply with all local laws, rules and regulations. You are also subject to Canada export controls and are responsible for any violations of such controls, including any Canadian embargoes or other federal rules and regulations restricting exports. We may limit the Site’s availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction we choose, at any time and in our sole discretion.
3. Description of the Services.We provide users with access to certain content and services that are intended to raise public awareness, promote activism and influence policy and individual behavior on gender justice issues and women and girls’rights which may include: (a) services such as accounts, forums, the ability to create Campaigns and post Submissions (as defined below), registration functionality, RSS feeds of news, tools, photos, video, blogs, reviews, ratings and links to third party web sites; and (b) content such as audio and video clips, photographs, graphics, images, text, data, user comments, opinions, postings and messages and other similar content (such content and services, collectively, the “Services”).
5. Donations Submitted Through the Site.Your donations allow us to work towards our mission to help build a world free of inequalities, where human rights are respected and where all girls, women, transgender and gender non-conforming people can participate fully and effectively in the decisions that affect their lives. Once we receive a donation, these funds are allocated to help raise public awareness, promote activism and influence policy and individual behavior on gender justice issues. Accordingly, your donations are non-refundable. MANIFESTA will also at times and at its own discretion provide campaigners with the capability to fundraise toward a current campaign during the signing process.
6. Rules of Conduct.While using the Site you will comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. In addition, we expect users of the Site to respect the rights and dignity of others. Your use of the Site is conditioned on your compliance with the rules of conduct set forth in this section; your failure to comply with such rules may result in termination of your access to the Site pursuant to Section 17 below. You agree that you will not:
Upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available, through or in connection with the Site:
- Anything that is or may be (a) threatening, harassing, degrading, hateful or intimidating; (b) defamatory; (c) fraudulent or tortious; (d) obscene, indecent, pornographic or otherwise objectionable; or (e) protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or other proprietary right without the express prior consent of the owner of such right.
- Any virus or other computer code, file, or program that is harmful or invasive or may or is intended to damage or hijack the operation of, or to monitor the use of, any hardware, software or equipment.
- Any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional material, “junk mail,” “spam,” or investment opportunity, or any other form of solicitation.
- Anything that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law.
Use the Site for any fraudulent or unlawful purpose.
Use the Site to defame abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights of others, including others’ privacy rights or rights of publicity, or harvest or collect personally identifiable information about other users of the Site.
Harvest or collect e-mail addresses, phone numbers, or any other personal information about other Site users from the Site by electronic or other means for the purposes of sending unsolicited e-mails or other unsolicited communications.
Impersonate any person or entity; falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity in connection with the Site; or express or imply that we endorse any statement you make.
Interfere with or disrupt the operation of the Site or the servers or networks used to make the Site available; or violate any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of such networks. Restrict or inhibit any other person from using the Site (including by hacking or defacing any portion of the Site).
Use the Site to advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services without Manifesta’s express prior written consent.
Reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or otherwise exploit for any commercial purposes, any portion of, use of, or access to the Site.
Modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Site. Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notice from the Site or materials originating from the Site.
Frame or mirror any part of the Site without Manifesta’s express prior written consent.
Use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application or other manual or automatic device to retrieve, index, “scrape,” “data mine” or in any way gather Site content or reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Site without Manifesta’s express prior written consent.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, Manifesta grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. Manifesta reserves the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases.
Additionally, you acknowledge and agree that you (and not Manifesta) are responsible for obtaining and maintaining all telecommunications, broadband, and computer hardware, equipment, and services needed to access and use the Site, and paying all charges related thereto.
7. Registration; User Names and Passwords.You may be required to register with Manifesta in order to access certain Services or areas of the Site. With respect to any such registration, we may refuse to grant you, and you may not use, a user name (or e-mail address) that is already being used by someone else; that may be construed as impersonating another person; that belongs to another person; that violates the intellectual property or other rights of any person; that is offensive; or that we reject for any other reason in our sole discretion.
Your user name and password are for your personal use only, and not for use by any other person. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any password you may use to access the Site, and agree not to transfer your password or user name, or lend or otherwise transfer your use of or access to the Site, to any third party. You are fully responsible for all interaction with the Site that occurs in connection with your password or user name. You agree to immediately notify Manifesta of any unauthorized use of your password or user name or any other breach of security related to your account or the Site, and to ensure that you “log off”/exit from your account with the Site (if applicable) at the end of each session. We are not liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with any of the foregoing obligations.
8. Campaigns.We and/or our service providers may make available through the Site platforms or functionality through which you are able to create campaigns to advocate for women and girls rights and gender justice (each, a “Campaign”). You may not, however, use our campaign platforms to create Campaigns for political campaigning or electioneering purposes or to promote hatred, violence, discrimination or stereotypes based on race, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, sexuality, or religion (which determination will be made by Manifesta in its sole discretion).
- Generally. A Campaign may be created by an individual or an organization (each, a “Campaigner”). Campaigners must register with Manifesta through the Site to create a Campaign. You acknowledge and agree that you (and not Manifesta) are responsible for promoting your Campaigns, but that Manifesta may, in its sole discretion, select Campaigns to promote by any means, including featuring a Campaign on the Site or e-mailing information about a Campaign to registered Site users.
- Campaign Partners. We may, at our sole discretion, elect to work with and provide Services (including maintaining Campaign sites located on the Site) for certain individual or organization-based Campaigners (each, a “Campaign Partner”). To become a Campaign Partner, you or your organization must receive from Manifesta a confirmation e-mail specifically identifying you or your organization as a Campaign Partner.
9. Accounts and Forums.We may allow you to post certain messages, information, content and/or materials (each, a “Submission”) on your “Account” and in connection with Campaigns. Further, we and/or our service providers may make available through the Site services (for example, message boards, forums, blogs, chat functionality, messaging functionality and comment functionality on the Site, among other services) to which you are able to post Submissions (each, a “Forum”). Please note that Site visitors (including Campaigners and Campaign Partners) may post Submissions in Campaigns, Accounts, Groups, Events and/or Forums that are inaccurate, misleading or deceptive. Without limitation of Section 14, Manifesta and its Affiliated Entities neither endorse nor are responsible for (a) any positions taken by or associated with Site visitors or any organizations represented by, affiliated or associated with Site visitors (including positions taken by Campaigners in their Campaigns, social media sites, or other web sites) or (b) any opinion, advice, information or statements made in Campaigns, Accounts, Groups, Events and/or Forums by Site visitors. The opinions expressed in Campaigns, Groups, Events, and/or Forums reflect solely the opinions of the individuals or organizations who submitted such opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Manifesta.
In addition and without limitation to the foregoing, Manifesta and its Affiliated Entities are not responsible for any information or materials made available through Campaigns, Accounts, Groups, Events and/or Forums (including errors or omissions in Campaigns, Profiles and/or Forum postings or links or images embedded in Campaigns, Profiles and/or Forum postings) or results obtained by using any such information or materials. Under no circumstances will Manifesta, the Affiliated Entities or their respective employees, officers, directors, shareholders, affiliates, agents, representatives, licensors, suppliers or service providers, be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on such information or materials.
10. Use of Information by Third Parties.Manifesta and its Affiliated Entities have no control over, and shall have no liability for, any damages resulting from the use (including republication) or misuse by any third party of information voluntarily made public through a Campaign, a Profile, a Forum, or any other part of the Site. IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE ANY OF YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE OR OTHER INFORMATION PUBLICLY AVAILABLE IN A CAMPAIGN, A PROFILE, A FORUM OR OTHERWISE ON THE SITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
For purposes of clarity, you retain ownership of your Submissions, including information, content and/or materials protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or other proprietary right. However, please note that we need certain rights to your Submissions in order to make them available on the Site. As such, you hereby grant to Manifesta, the Affiliated Entities and their respective service providers and designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers), royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license, without compensation to you: to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt (including edit, modify, translate, and reformat), create derivative works of, transmit, publicly display and publicly perform such Submission, in any media now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose in connection with the Site, including to use your Submission in connection with Manifesta campaigns or advertisements and to publicize your Campaign through any media.
This license is non-exclusive (so you can license your Submissions to others), worldwide (as the Internet is global in its reach), fully-paid up and royalty-free (so that we do not have to pay you for posting your Submissions), sublicenseable through multiple tiers (so that we can use our service providers and subcontractors to provide Services).
For each Submission, you represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary for you to grant the licenses granted in this section, and that such Submission, and your provision thereof to and through the Site, comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. You further irrevocably waive any “moral rights” or other rights with respect to attribution of authorship or integrity of materials regarding each Submission that you may have under any applicable law under any legal theory. We request this waiver to help ensure that we have all the rights we may need to provide the Services available through the Site.
12. Monitoring.You acknowledge and agree that we reserve the right (but have no obligation) to do any or all of the following, at our sole discretion: (a) monitor Submissions and Campaigns; (b) alter, remove, or refuse to post or allow to be posted any Submission; (c) alter, remove, or refuse to create or allow to be created any Campaigns; and/or (d) disclose any Submissions and/or Campaigns, and the circumstances surrounding their transmission, to any third party in order to operate the Site or provide any Services; to protect Manifesta, its Affiliated Entities, and the Site’s users and visitors; to comply with legal obligations or governmental requests; to enforce this Agreement; or for any other reason or purpose.
13. Manifesta’s Proprietary Rights.The information and materials made available through the Site, including the Services, are and shall remain the property of Manifesta and its Affiliated Entities, and are protected by copyright, trademark, patent, and/or other proprietary rights and laws. Subject to your compliance with this Agreement, and solely for so long as you are permitted by Manifesta to access and use the Site, you may view any content on the Site to which we provide you access hereunder solely for your personal, non-commercial use, provided that you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Except as expressly authorized in advance by Manifesta in writing, you agree not to reproduce, modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute, or create derivative works based (whether in whole or in part) on, all or any part of the Site or any materials made available through the Site. All trademarks and service marks on the Site not owned by Manifesta are the property of their respective owners. The trade names, trademarks and service marks owned by Manifesta, whether registered or unregistered, may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not ours, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion. Nothing contained on the Site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel or otherwise, any license or right to use any of Manifesta’s trade names, trademarks or service marks without our express prior written consent.
14. Links.The Site and visitors to the Site (including Campaigners and Campaign Partners) may provide links to other web sites and online resources (including the Payment Service Page and Campaign Partner Campaign sites and other web sites). Because Manifesta has no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that Manifesta and its Affiliated Entities are not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and Manifesta and its Affiliated Entities neither endorse nor are responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available through such sites or resources. Other web sites (including any Campaign Partner’s web sites) may provide links to the Site with or without our authorization. You acknowledge and agree that Manifesta and its Affiliated Entities do not endorse such sites, and are not and shall not be responsible or liable for any links from those sites to the Site, any content, advertising, products, services or other materials available on or through such other sites, or any loss or damages incurred in connection therewith.
YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THIRD PARTY WEB SITES AND RESOURCES, INCLUDING YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT, INFORMATION, DATA, ADVERTISING, PRODUCTS, OR OTHER MATERIALS ON OR AVAILABLE THROUGH SUCH WEB SITES AND RESOURCES, IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IS SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE APPLICABLE TO SUCH SITES AND RESOURCES. Manifesta shall have the right, at any time and in its sole discretion, to block links to the Site through technological or other means without prior notice.